Frequently asked quantum questions (FAQQ) is a wikimedia website towards answering, in a well-referenced fashion, common statements, assertions, and misconceptions about how quantum computing will effect Bitcoin along with the rest of the blockchain space.
It's put together by contributing members from the Quantum Resistant Ledger.
- Bitcoin's developers have already planned for this.
- Bitcoin will just hard/softfork
- If they can break SHA_256, we’ll upgrade to SHA_384
- But if you don’t reuse addresses, you’re safe because BTC only exposes the hash of your public key if you have never transferred BTC from that address
- Quantum computing is a long ways away, there's no need to bother
- If ECDSA will be broken, banks and the whole internet is broken. Blockchain is the least we’ll need to worry about then.
Current News Articles
- 03/2022 scitechdaily: Fault Tolerant Quantum Computation in silicon spin qbits
- 03/2022 Venturebeat: Nato and The White house recognize the quantum computer threat to encryption
- 02/2022 The White House: (iii) Within 180 days of the date of this memorandum, agencies shall implement multifactor authentication and encryption for NSS data-at-rest and data-in-transit.
- 02/2022 global risk institute: updated timeline quantum threat
- 02/2022 phys.org: A new method for quantum computing
- 01/2022 riken: faster techinque for resetting quantum circuits
- 01/2022 SciTechDaily: major breakthrough in quantum computing
- 01/2022 SciTechDaily: New algorithms advance the computing power of quantum computers
Series: Quantum resistant blockchain and cryptocurrency, the full analysis
- Laying the groundwork
- Blockchain mathematical concepts
- Quantum resistant blockchains explained
- Challenges in upgrading existing blockchains
- Challenges in upgrading existing blockchains, continued
- Why BTC is vulnerable for quantum attacks sooner than todays estimates
- Common arguments and false claims
- Quantum attacks on Bitcoin, and how to protect against them
- Quantum Resource Estimates for Computing Elliptic Curve Discrete Logarithms